A discipline that applies the principles of engineering into design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of machines.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers a highly integrated curriculum of education and research to keep in pace with the changing needs of educational standards. The course intends to apply the principles of materials science to the creation, design, maintenance and analysis of mechanical systems. The department has grown three folds to become one of the largest departments in the Institution.
Vision of the Department
- To promote the Department as renowned innovation center for enriching the society and nurture the students as advanced potent and paradigm Mechanical Engineering professionals.
Mission of the Department
- To provide outcome based competent education in the domain of Mechanical Engineering.
- To inculcate technical skills and to enable practical trainings towards the career aspirations of students by state of the art laboratories, self-learning resources and value added programmes.
- To cultivate research outlook, entrepreneurial attributes, interpersonal skills, moral values and societal commitments among students.
- To collaborate with industries and professional bodies to make them competitive industry ready professionals.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1: Graduates will have successful professional career in Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines.
- PEO 2: Graduates will formulate, analyze and solve real – world problems in Mechanical Engineering to meet global challenges.
- PEO 3: Graduates will have awareness and commitment to lifelong learning and professional ethics in their professional practice.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PS01 Apply the mechanical engineering principles to solve engineering problems utilizing advanced technology in the domain of design, thermal, fluid sciences and robotics.
- PS02 Take part as an entrepreneur or professional in industries by applying manufacturing and management practices for the advancement of society and self.
The department offers the following courses:
- 4 year UG course – B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- 2 year PG course – M.E. Engineering Design
- PG Programme in Eastern Michigan University
Centre for UAV Systems
- Supported by Centre for Aero Space and Research,MIT,Anna University,Chennai
- Interdisciplinary Certification Course
- Course Duration -30 Hrs COURSE LAYOUT
- Performance and Stability Analysis
- Prototype Fabrication. Applications in various fields
- Health Care
- Law enforcement
- Disaster relief
- Hands-on learning
- Training for the jobs of the future Benefits of the Course:
- Drone Career (more new jobs in unmanned aircraft and drone technology by 2025)
- Internship in Daksha
- Opportunities to be part of Daksha Team
Introduces the initial designing and sizing process - Basic Design
Highlights of the Department
- Accredited by NBA
- Permanent Affiliation
- Recognised Research Centre of Anna University
- Established Product Development Cell to bring out innovative & creative ideas of students
- BMW’s Workstation -Skill Next Technical Training programme.
- Establishment of an exclusive lab ‘e-Yantra’ in association with IIT, Bombay, to create an forum to understand the industrial applications of Robotics & Embedded System.
- The Department has state of art laboratories.
- CAD/CAM lab with Inventor, PTC-Creo, Solidworks, Automation studio,LabVIEW, ANSYS
- Strength of Materials Lab
- Thermal Lab
- Heat transfer Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Lathe shop
- Mechatronics lab
Offers Value Added Programs
- AUTOCAD – 2D and 3D
- SOLID WORKS
- UG CAM
Associated with various professional bodies
- Institute of Indian Foundrymen(IIF)
- Society of Automobile Engineering(SAE- for events baja and supra) ISTE
- Indian Welding Society
- CII and Coimbatore Productivity Council
HoD’s Message“A warm Greetings from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at KIT. Mechanical Engineering is a professional Core engineering discipline that deals with the design, production and maintenance of any produce of any industry. Our department has a team of highly qualified and experienced faculty, good infra structure and lab facilities. The core values of the department help the students to develop their overall personality and make them worthy to compete and work at global level. I am certain that our students will prove to be an invaluable asset to an organization.”
– Dr.J. Maniraj – Professor & Head of Mechanical Department