A discipline that applies the principles of engineering into design, analysis, manufacturing, and maintenance of machines.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers a highly integrated curriculum of education and research to keep in pace with the changing needs of educational standards. The course intends to apply the principles of materials science to the creation, design, maintenance and analysis of mechanical systems. The department has grown three folds to become one of the largest departments in the Institution.
The department offers the following courses:
- 4 year UG course – B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- 2 year PG course – M.E. Engineering Design
- PG Programme in Eastern Michigan University
Highlights of the Department
- Accredited by NBA
- Permanent Affiliation
- Recognised Research Centre of Anna University
- Established Product Development Cell to bring out innovative & creative ideas of students
- BMW’s Workstation -Skill Next Technical Training programme.
- Establishment of an exclusive lab ‘e-Yantra’ in association with IIT, Bombay, to create an forum to understand the industrial applications of Robotics & Embedded System.
- The Department has state of art laboratories.
- CAD/CAM lab with Inventor, PTC-Creo, Solidworks, Automation studio,LabVIEW, ANSYS
- Strength of Materials Lab
- Thermal Lab
- Heat transfer Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Lathe shop
- Mechatronics lab
Offers Value Added Programs
- AUTOCAD – 2D and 3D
- SOLID WORKS
- UG CAM
Associated with various professional bodies
- Institute of Indian Foundrymen(IIF)
- Society of Automobile Engineering(SAE- for events baja and supra) ISTE
- Indian Welding Society
- CII and Coimbatore Productivity Council
HoD’s Message“A warm Greetings from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at KIT. Mechanical Engineering is a professional Core engineering discipline that deals with the design, production and maintenance of any produce of any industry. Our department has a team of highly qualified and experienced faculty, good infra structure and lab facilities. The core values of the department help the students to develop their overall personality and make them worthy to compete and work at global level. I am certain that our students will prove to be an invaluable asset to an organization.”
– Dr.J. Maniraj – Professor & Head of Mechanical Department